a man of both great physical attributes as well as mental awesomeness

Friday, February 18, 2005

Guess not...

I didn't do anything tonight, unlike I said I would. I didn't go out and roam the many hotspots of Hillsboro, nor did I meet up with a friend and just converse. Basically all I've done today is go to school, then veg at home.
I did read an interesting article about the human brain in National Geographic. This thing is wild! You start developing your brain four weeks after conception, then it develops and develops. When you are born you already know the difference between your mothers voice and other peoples, you know what she looks like after only something like two days, you can recognize differences in language too, and you know what certain foods are like. Its absolutely wild. They say after the first several months of birth the baby is a learning machine. It doesn't take a while to recognize/memorize things like us adults do, no it just takes everything in. So when it is staring at things, its purposefully learning. It can't do many things with critical thinking because that portion of the brain is not developed, but that comes after only three years. Its impossible to remember anything before age four. You haven't developed the hippocampus enough. 6 months into birth you've developed more brain cells than you will ever have again. Although new research is saying that it is in fact possible to gain brain cells as an adult, more stuff dealing with stem cells and such. Its absolutely fascinating, this brain of ours. As you do certain activities it develops, so if you were blind and read Braille for a long time, you'd have a larger touch sensory part of your brain because you constantly are using. The thing I really want after reading this is tests to be done on me. See what my brain is like, am I more developed in certain areas? Should I focus and certain activities to help stimulate my brain. I have a crappy memory, how do I fix that? I really want to talk to these doctor's and figure stuff out. They also mentioned how meditating and that type of thing help your brain. They took a test of a senior Tibetan lama skilled in meditation, and all of his meditation and similar hobbies showed, statistically with data, that he was the happiest person on the earth they had seen. They say even after 3 months of meditation you can notice a difference, but you have to stick with it for it to stay. So now, I need to figure this stuff out, because I want to be healthy and smart, and well developed. You should read this article, its in the March 2005 edition of National Geographic.
Also, I drew those pictures below this bad boy. They're from MS Paint.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home