a man of both great physical attributes as well as mental awesomeness

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

There has been a lot of news coverage over these executions as of late and it's rather disheartening. I don't like that we're playing up the fact that the United States Judicial System has ruled for nearly 1,000 people to be killed. It's made me think about the death penalty quite a bit and I've come to the conclusion I don't agree with it, no matter what. I say this not having been in the position of having a family member, or dear friend killed by somebody, but I do hope if I were put into the situation I would keep my current ethical stance. My reasoning is that I think there are much more effective ways of dealing with those kinds of crime. There are a lot of aspects to look at with coming to this conclusion, one is how many people on death row are actually guilty. Minor possibly, but I've heard several stories of wrongfully accused criminals. In the event it was not a wrongful prosecution, it was still a terrible mistake, intentional or not. Killing someone is terrible, and the person who is responsible ought to face consequences, but not by death. If anything life-long sentences would be better; I'd say to make the person responsible understand what they did and live with a life on their hands. I also believe people can change; after serving an sentence I think the killer could right their wrongs and learn a new way of life, very much for the better. Most people would say they'd just go out and kill, but I think that's because they give up on the people. Not like we need to religiously "save" them, but teach them, help them to change and it could be better. The death penalty is a cop-out.

In other news it's dead week and I'm as lazy and relaxed as always. Too bad for the sucka's who be frettin' I got all my ish done before-hand and will now coast through the next five days until my fall term is over. I'm happy, content, would like to be home or have B come here, but a week isn't too long to wait. Life is good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home