a man of both great physical attributes as well as mental awesomeness

Sunday, November 14, 2004

Finally Back

So after a three day Hiatus I am returning to write in my blog. This will be a very long one since I have the three days to catch up. Eugene was a cool place. I was surprised by the number of people I interacted with that didn't know their way around. We got lost at least 5 times around there because people didn't know where we were supposed to be going; in the end it was I who found our way, pretty crazy.
So on Thursday I woke up at 8 so we could make it to our college tour, we got lost en route- no surprise. Once we did get there this lady talked for an hour about crap I could have found on the web, then we got to go on the tour which was alright, it gave me a general view of what campus was like, it seems pretty nice. Then after the tour we went back to Kate's apartment and I cooked myself my delicious Spagehtio's for lunch and then Jeff and I headed off to play tennis. I thoroughly enjoyed our tennis match, I have lost lots of my skills and stuff, but I am really excited to get back into playing really soon. I want to start playing a lot. After the tennis we went back to the appartment Jeff and I cooked the girls dinner; a freaking humongous steak thingy, beef roast or something, mashed up some potatoes and cooked some green beans, we freaking rocked that out at about 7:45-8ish since it ended up taking two hours for the roast to cook. We stayed up late watching "Bowling for Columbine" a wild movie that definitely makes you think twice about America. Then bed.
Friday was pretty late day, Kara Wendell, one of kates roomates took us to her English and Mass Media classes, I enjoyed the Engish. It was about Medival Poetry and I thought it was interesting to learn that there were deeply religious meaning in many of the poems when at first glance you'd imagine them to be simply about the Knight and snakes. Mass Media I found to be boring, I thought it would be neat but I didn't feel like I gained anything from it. After that we went to Kates Geology class. You can't imagine it'd be much fun with it being about rocks, but oddly enough I payed attention and learned some things. After class we met up with about every single UO student who previously attended glencoe, it was wild. We were at the bowl or dish or some saucerlike name they have for this area of the campus and we say like 10 kids from Glencoe as we waited for our college hook-ups to take us to their appartment. We watched Oceans eleven and ate takeout from Red Robins while a fantastic blaze of fire arose from the fireplace thanks to me. Then after that, we watched Dr. Strangelove or something something. It was a really weird supposed 'dark comedy' that I didn't believe was funny but rather sad. It was about this Nuclear War and stuff, you'd have to see it to know, I can't even explain. Then we went to bed, again, late.
Finally Saturday rolls around, I wake up before the other fools, get stuff packed and ready, we leave by 10 something and head to Wilsonville to watch Becky dance. We find it WITHOUT GETTING LOST!!! this is new to the Upton family children and its a nice thing. The competition was good, Glencoe got first in its section and all the other schools were really good.
So now I shall reflect over the weekend. I have noticed that at College, outside of dorms, its incredibly difficult to eat well. You have a minimal selection of food and you can't eat it all at once. And the food you have is mainly for meals, no real room for snacking. Secondly, its completely self-reliant. These guys have to make sure they study or else they fail, they don't have people telling them to do this work to learn, they decide, obviously this isn't new, but it hit me while there. Thirdly, movies are a great way to spend time. There is a lot more I am sure of, but right now I am tired and want to get to bed, so goodnight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home