a man of both great physical attributes as well as mental awesomeness

Sunday, November 21, 2004

Trains

Today I left to visit my brother at UW and ceck out the school. I went by train so as to avoid the traffic and not have to drive all the way up there by myself. So my Train was set to leave the station at 4:05, I got there at 3:40ish. When I got there I found that my train was delayed by an hour and a half. I thought it sucked but figured its bound to happen. I sat down, read Catch 22, more like reread, I had read it before but not quite understood it, so I figured this second time around I could. I did, and got pretty far in the time alloted for it, about 60 pages or so. About the time we were supposed to be departing after the delay I went to check the schedule and found that it had been delayed another 45 minutes. By this time I am getting sick of waiting, this would total my wait time to over two hours. Complete Crap. But I waited and this time the train did come. So I boarded the biatch and prepared for the four hour trip that was ahead of me. I got seated by this guy from Calgary, a very flamboyant guy in his early 20's. I noticed in the first five minutes that the people that surrounded my had been together on this train since Los Angeles leaving plenty of time for them to become friends, and they had. It was really interesting to see the frienship these people had formed, almost their own cliche, and my arrival was like that of the new kid who enters school mid semester. I was the intruder into their little group and therefor sat quitetly reading, listening to music and their conversations.
The train ride was suppposed to take four hours, but this little train 14 was not going to have that. It was already two hours behind, why not push that to three? Shortly after my boarding, maybe forty minutes or so, this lady in the train behind mine had some sort of breathing problem and so the train had to stop and she had to be attended to. Apparently the train doesn't carry oxygen so she had to be shipped off to the nearest hospital and we continued our journey. More time went on, I continued to read and listen to my music. Much later we have another problem, it appeared that another lady had accidently bought a ticket for the Tacoma train when instead she wanted the Centralia one, which is where her son was to pick her up. After we passed Centralia, only by a bit, she realized this and had to get off, so we actually backed up, yes, went backwards down the train track. After this delay my fellow train riders were getting frustrated seeing as how they had been on for over 30 hours. I too was getting upset, I just wanted to get to Seattle. Finally at 11:06 we arrived in Seattle, only 2 and a half hours behind schedule.
When I got to Seattle my brother was there to pick me up and we headed to his basement residence. That place is freaking crap. his room is maybe 40 square feet. VERY SMALL, and his dining area consists of an incredibly crappy kitchen with a fridge, a sink, a small broken dish washer, and a tiny shelf area for the food. Then we have the bathroom. Probably the worst part of the whole place. That sucka is only 20 square feet max. It consists or a toilet that has a step-up thing because for some reason its elavated, a shower with as much mildew as there are in those bathroom cleaner comercials, the ones you think don't ever exist, and a sink. Probably the worst living conditions considering he's paying 300 bones a month for that. includiing utilities.
I ended up sleeping on this POS sofa right next to their 'front door'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home