a man of both great physical attributes as well as mental awesomeness

Saturday, December 18, 2004

I submit my incentive is romance...

Today was a very music oriented day. I got up and Jake and I began to play jam a bit, not really accomplishing anything in particular, but trying our best to sound good. The thing is, we both don't know enough about our instruments to get them to sound awesome with one another and we both can't sing. Thats a really crappy thing. I know if I could sing it would make guitar playing about five thousand times more enjoyable and rewarding. If I could get my voice to sound half-way decent I would be able to make up songs, and hopefully perform them for people without feeling embarrassed for just playing guitar when all of these of great musicians can sing too. Then later in the day I was listening to the radio, and this might sound stupid, but I finally actually thought of the effort that goes into the music I am listening to. On a daily basis music is being played on multiple radio stations for several hours. All of this music had to be written, performed, perfected, recorded, and then accepted. I haven't even gotten to the first part, and thats really frustrating. I have been playing for almost 2 years I think, and I can't write good stuff, or play cool riffs, or make sweet solo's, and that sucks. I want to be good and come up with a song. Who knows how long that will take.
Today was also the first time I listened to rap seriously for a long time. Normally its just background noise in some people's car, or at the dance, but today I actually listened to it myself. "College Drop-out" by Kanye West was the selection. Its pretty good. The CD has a whole theme which is always really neat and it was pretty interesting to get a intro into his life. Its not like the rock I listen to where it doesn't really have to do with anything in particular, or at least that i can tell of, it actually is about him. He mentioned the fact that he got into some car accident and almost died, he looks to Jesus for all his answers, and everything thought he sucked but he showed them. its interesting to see how this apparently religious guy talks about sex and drops the f*bomb quite frequently. I wasn't particular affected by the constant swearing, which says something, I appreciated the style of music for once; for the fact that this guy can write lyrics that tell a story, rhyme in a free flow way. It truly is impressive. Now not all rappers are such, but he and Jay-Z I like. Now back to more listening, goodnight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home